Measuring Up for Children: Reviewing the 'McMahon' Recommendations
Irish Architectural Archive, 45 Merrion Square East, Dublin 2
Thursday 8 June 2017
10:00am - 3:00pm
Published in June 2015, the McMahon Report contained 173 recommendations to improve the protection process and direct provision for asylum seekers in Ireland.
To mark the two-year anniversary of the publication of this report, the Children's Rights Alliance is organising a conference to review progress in implementing the report's recommendations affecting children.
Panel discussions will provide an opportunity to review progress made, identify key gaps and discuss the steps that need to be taken to ensure the successful implementation of outstanding recommendations.
Speakers and contributors include (in alphabetical order):
- Video inputs from young people who have lived in Direct Provision
- Carol Baxter: Head of Asylum Services, Integration and Equality, Department of Justice and Equality
- Saoirse Brady: Legal and Policy Director, Children’s Rights Alliance
- Michele Clarke: Social Work Specialist, Department of Children and Youth Affairs
- David Costello, Chief International Protection Officer and Head of the International Protection Office
- Fiona Finn: CEO, NASC The Irish Immigrant Support Centre
- Judge Bryan McMahon: former Chair of the Working Group on Direct Provision and the Protection Process
- Brian Merriman, Principal Officer for Asylum Policy, Department of Justice and Equality
- Professor Siobhan Mullally: Director of the Centre for Criminal Justice and Human Rights and Commissioner of the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission
- Enda O’Neill: Head of Office, UNHCR Ireland
- Dr. Ciara Smyth: National University of Ireland, Galway
- Dr. Muireann Ní Raghallaigh (University College Dublin) and Maeve Foreman (Trinity College Dublin)
Please RSVP to Hilary Harmon at firstname.lastname@example.org or +353 1 662 9400. Please let us know if you have any specific needs including dietary or aids/supports.