Know Your Rights: My Rights in Dealing With the Law and Gardai

Published date: 
Wednesday, April 1, 2015

As a victim of crime, you have the right to report that crime to the Gardaí (police). However, it is up to the Gardaí and the Department of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to decide whether or not to investigate the crime and bring it to court. If the crime involved violence or a sexual offence and it goes to court, the court must take into account the impact that the crime had on you when deciding the sentence.

Children's Rights Alliance
Know Your Rights: Children Law and Gardai